Friday, April 8, 2011

Vegan Challenge!

I'm on day 2 of my 17 day vegan challenge! So far, it's been great! Today I have a lot more energy than I typically do. This is a big deal for me, because Spring is a bad time for me. I'm plagued by allergies, so my energy level is quite low this time of year.

I had to do some shopping to try and stock up our pantry. Luckily, we have a fairly good supply of canned and frozen veggies. I added some more grains and other vegetarian staples. I realize that I am going to be shopping differently from now on. We typically grocery shop every two weeks or so, but it's going to have to be bumped up to at least once a week, because I am flying through fresh fruits and vegetables and loving it!

 
Our shelf never looked so classy... or so appetizing!

I cooked my first intentionally vegan dish last night. It turned out quite tasty! Jason said he liked it, which is huge! If my meat-lover husband said he liked the meal that was devoid of any animal products, then I know the meal was a success. Jason coined the meal "Fala-hitas" because he said it reminded him of a mix between fajitas and falafels. I sauteed bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and corn with a little olive oil and fajita spices. For the wraps, we put a little plain hummus on whole wheat tortillas and topped each with black beans. I typically put sour cream on top of my fajitas, but seeing as I'm eating vegan, it wasn't an option. Hummus was a last minute call and if it didn't taste good with the fajitas, well, then lesson learned. As it turned out, we both really enjoyed it, but there has to be a good balance; a little hummus goes a long way.

 
"Fala-hitas"!! They were amazing and I am really looking forward to supper tonight for leftovers.

I'm loving the vegan challenge so far. I realize I'll probably get frustrated at one point or another, but I am going to keep with it.

No comments: